Different types of philodendron
Philodendron types come in a wide range of colors, shapes, and sizes. There are over 490 species and cultivars of philodendron, making it the second-largest genus in the Arum family.
Philodendrons can be classified into two basic types:
- Climbing Philodendron
- Non-Climbing Philodendron
Climbing philodendrons (also called vining philodendrons or trailing plants) are the most commonly found varieties. These are mainly grown as indoor potted plants or in hanging baskets but can also be planted outdoors as ground covers.
These climbing philodendrons have aerial roots, so they start climbing on the vertical surface around them.
You can train it to grow upward by winding around poles, preferably rough and damp. The roots can easily attach themselves to damp poles.
You can limit the height of the climbing philodendron by pruning.
Non-climbing philodendrons, as the name suggests, have an upright growing habit and do not climb.
These are commonly known as upright growing philodendrons, self-heading philodendrons, Non-vining philodendrons, or tree philodendrons.
These types of philodendrons typically have larger green leaves in a variety of shapes. Leaves of this plant grow as much as 3 feet long. They are slow growers than climbing philodendron types.
You can grow these types of plants indoors as tabletops or floor level, and you can also grow outdoors as few varieties of philodendron can reach up to 15-20 feet.
The self-heading types grow from a clump at the base. Their leaves are spaced so close together that the stem is not visible until some of the older lower leaves fall off.
Self-heading philodendrons are described as being arborescent types (resembling a tree in growth or appearance).
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links. The price you pay is exactly the same if you do or do not use my links. There are no extras costs to you.
Climbing philodendron types
Here is the list of some of the vining philodendron varieties:
- Fiddle-Leaf Philodendron (Philodendron bipennifolium / P. panduriforme)
- Philodendron Micans
- Heart-leaf Philodendron (Philodendron scandens oxycardium )
- Oak Leaf Philodendron(Philodendron Pedatum (Laciniatum)
- Philodendron Golden Emerald (Philodendron Ceylon)
- Philodendron Emerald Duke
- Philodendron Red Emerald(Philodendron erubescens)
- Philodendron wendlandii
- Royal Queen Philodendron( Philodendron erubescens Royal Queen)
- Philodendron deflexum
- Philodendron Green Emerald (Philodendron erubescens Green Emerald)
- Philodendron Painted Lady (Hybrid from Philodendron erubescens Emerald Queen)
- Philodendron Pink Princess (Philodendron erubescens)
Here is the list of some of the non-vining philodendron varieties:
- Fernleaf Philodendron (Philodendron pinnatifidum)
- Red bristle philodendron(Philodendron squamiferum)
- Copper Birdsnest Philodendron (Philodendron Autumn)
- Philodendron Black Cardinal
- Pertusum Philodendron Xanadu
- Philodendron Moonshine
- Philodendron selloum
- Philodendron Pluto
- Philodendron Golden Xanadu
- Philodendron Wind-Imbe
- Lacy-Tree Philodendron Hope / Tree Philodendron (Thaumatophyllum bipinnatifidum)
- Philodendron birkin
- Philodendron McColley’s Finale
Large leaf philodendron types
Here is the list of some of large leaf Philodendron types:
- Philodendron Melanochrysum
- Philodendron Pertusum( It is Monstera Deliciosa)
- Philodendron Domesticum
- Philodendron Radiatum
- Philodendron Bipennifolium
- Philodendron Mandaianum
- Philodendron Undulatum
- Philodendron Eichleri
- Philodendron Williamsii
Here is the list of some of the rarest and expensive Philodendrons:
- Philodendron ilsemanii variegata
- Philodendron Billietiae Variegated
- Philodendron Caramel Marble Variegated
- Philodendron Red Congo Variegated
- Philodendron Whipple Way
- Philodendron Golden Dragon Albo Variegated
- Philodendron Golden Dragon Variegated
- Philodendron Pink Princess
Most common types of Philodendron
Following are just a few examples of the many different types of philodendrons available
- Heartleaf Philodendron (Philodendron hederaceum) – This is one of the most popular varieties. It has small, heart-shaped leaves and is a good choice for hanging baskets.
- Monstera Philodendron (Monstera deliciosa) – This is a popular houseplant with large, glossy leaves with unique, Swiss cheese-like holes.
- Golden Philodendron (Philodendron Golden Goddess) – This plant has bright, golden-yellow leaves shaped like arrows.
- Split-Leaf Philodendron (Philodendron bipinnatifidum) – This plant has large, deeply-lobed leaves that give it a unique, tropical appearance.
- Velvet Philodendron (Philodendron hederaceum var. micans) – This variety has soft, velvety leaves that are a deep green with a reddish underside.
- Xanadu Philodendron (Philodendron Xanadu) – This plant has deeply lobed, shiny green leaves that form a dense clump, making it an excellent choice for landscaping.
- Pink Princess Philodendron (Philodendron erubescens ‘Pink Princess’) – This is a stunning philodendron variety with dark green leaves and pink variegation.
- Black Cardinal Philodendron (Philodendron ‘Black Cardinal’) – This plant has dark burgundy leaves that are almost black, making it a dramatic addition to any space.